physical_therapyPhysical therapists are health care professionals offering cost-effective treatment that improves mobility, relieves pain, reduces the need for surgery and drugs and allows patients to participate in a therapy plan designed for their specific needs.

Improve Mobility & Motion

Physical therapists understand anatomy & are experts in improving mobility and range of motion. Painless movement is necessary for quality of daily life, ability to earn a living, pursue your favorite leisure activities, and more.

Reduce Pain

If you have pain, a physical therapy program can be designed to help reduce your pain.  Pain free movement can help us perform more physical activities – and physical activity has so many more great benefits, such as weight management,  physical independence, and studies suggest that walking alone can reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke, hip fracture, and knee arthritis, among other benefits.  Consistent movement is essential to maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle, which can help prevent costly injuries.

Heal Injuries
Speaking of injuries, your body was designed to heal itself — a physical therapist knows how to guide that process along by creating a custom therapy program that encourages, facilitates & accelerates the natural healing your body was designed to do.

Avoid Surgery

physical_therapy2While surgery is necessary as treatment for some injuries, there is increasing evidence that conservative treatments such as physical therapy can be just as effective (and cheaper) for many conditions.

Low back pain is often over-treated despite abundant evidence that physical therapy is the most cost-effective treatment.  Invasive surgery can be very costly, not to mention the MRIs.  Additionally, surgery can increase immediate & long term pain.

Physical therapy has proven as effective as surgery for meniscal / knee, rotator cuff tears, osteoarthritis and degenerative diseases along with many other conditions.

Avoid Drugs

Drugs can be useful for some conditions & injuries; however, some drugs have negative side effects.  Not only that, they can be expensive.   Your body has the ability to heal itself – physical therapists just guide that process along for a quicker recovery.

Participate In Your Recovery

Physical therapists work collaboratively with their patients. Treatment strategies can be designed for the patient’s specific goals & challenges. Receiving treatment by a physical therapist is an interactive activity – participating in your own recovery can decrease the healing time & reduce pain faster.  Patients develop a relationship with their physical therapist to help you maintain a long term healthy & pain free lifestyle.

We will design a custom exercise program for you that you can do at the gym, office or at home.

At Bright STAR Physical Therapy, our staff is constantly getting more training and more education on new or innovative treatment options in order to heal injuries & relieve pain and discomfort. We have 2 locations in the San Fernando Valley — Woodland Hills, CA & Valley Village / North Hollywood, CA.   Call our office today for a free consultation (818)343-3900. You can also visit our website at www.BrightSTARPT.com

brightstarpt

Author brightstarpt

More posts by brightstarpt

Join the discussion 11 Comments

• Megan Earl says:

I didn’t know that physical therapy could actually help you avoid surgery! My husband has been having lots of hand pain lately, and we’ve been looking into different ways we could help him feel better. I feel like therapy might be a good option. He’s always been a bit afraid when it comes to surgery, so I’m sure he’ll be glad when I show him this post!

• One of my cousins goes to physical therapy every month, and I was curious about what it did for him. It’s interesting that there are actually programs designed to reduce your pain! He has always had pain in parts of his body, and I’m sure that this helps him a lot.

• I never thought about how my body knows how to repair itself. It would be nice to get my feet feeling good again. I have been having a lot of issues with my legs. I guess I need a physical therapist help guide my body through the healing process.

• Faylinn says:

A few years ago, a woman at my church was in a horrible car accident and lost the ability to really function. She became handicapped both physically and mentally. However, she is now able to stand up, play basic piano and empty out the dishwasher on her own and that is all because of her physical therapist working with her on improving mobility. At first, she would complain about how painful it was, but I’m sure that she is happy that she is able to move painlessly, which is something that you mention as being necessary. She hasn’t completely recovered yet, but I hope that through more therapy that she will be able to get there.

• My grandma’s knees have been giving her a lot of problems lately. I didn’t realize that physical therapy can help to develop programs and routines that can help to reduce pain. I hope this article can help my grandma to know what exercises she should do to improve her knee pain.

• Finn Stewart says:

I didn’t realize that going to physical therapy can help you avoid surgery. My doctor recommended I go to physical therapy for my back pain and I know it will help me strengthen it. However, it’s good to know that if I follow the doctor’s orders, I can avoid the cost and recovery period of a surgery.

• Jalu Sakti says:

I like that you talked about how physical therapy can work as a replacement for some surgery procedures. My daughter is terrified of having a surgery done, so physical therapy would be the perfect option for her. She has been having spinal pains, lately, so we are really working hard to find her a good physical therapist so that she can get it fixed, soon. It would be nice if therapy could help her so that she doesn’t have to get surgery — it would probably be more cost effective that way, too.

• Helen says:

I’m sure a lot of people assume that physical therapy is just for recovery after injuries or surgery, but it is more than that. Some people can develop issues from bad walking or posture habits. I often have ankle problems, but I don’t remember ever injuring it. I wonder if I should consider physical therapy.

• Raisa Delima says:

I like how you talked about the ways that physical therapy improves movement range and reduces pain. My grandmother has bad arthritis in her knees, so she doesn’t get to exercise a lot. I’ve heard that physical therapists are good for seniors who want to exercise, though, because they can help monitor the person’s body and make sure they are doing the right exercises. If my grandmother could exercise and reduce her arthritis pain, that would be a win-win!

• Marie Watson says:

Thanks for pointing out some of the benefits of physical therapy. I like that you mention how it can help reduce the pain you feel. You make a good point about how pain-free movement can help you perform many more physical activities. My mom has been dealing with pain from a back injury, so I wonder if physical therapy could be a good option for her.

• I have always been under the impression that you went to physical therapy after surgery, rather than being able to use it to prevent the need for surgery. I’ve been suffering with some lower back pain for a while now, but I until reading this, the idea of using physical therapy hadn’t crossed my mind. It would be amazing to get rid of that back pain once and for all!